The metal shop supports machining, sheet metal work, welding, and plasma cutting. Most of the tools require a checkout class that covers safety and basic operation. We also offer optional skill development classes in areas like CAD (creating a model of your object) and CAM (translating that model into a file to run on a CNC machine).
+ Checkout? Skill Development? Make-N-Take? What are these?
- Checkout - a safety class that is required before you use the tools covered on your own. No prior experience is necessary and the class is required whether you have 50 years' experience or zero.
- Skill Development - an optional class to increase your knowledge in an area
- Make-N-Take - a class with the focus on making an object for you to take
+ What tools require me to take a class?
+ What tools can I use without taking a class?
The magnetic brake, jump shear, corner notcher, Beverly shear, and hand tools do not require a class. Please use the available SOPs (the Standard Operating Procedure manuals located at each tool) to make your project.
+ Do I need a membership? Should I take notes? Can I retake a class?
- No membership is required.
- No need to take notes, we have all the information documented in the SOPs (the Standard Operating Procedure manuals located at each tool).
- You can audit, for free, a class you've already taken as a refresher.